Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Time for Reading ~

I dont really remember when i started to love reading. I find myself being so engrossed in the scenes that i can finish 1 book within hours. I did it again. If you find me holding on to the same book for more than 2 occasions, it means that i have lost track/interest of that book. 1 such book suffers this fate. Totto chan. I've tried reading it twice, well, or maybe thrice. Each time i'll be disrupted or distracted by something. Be it work or whatever nots. I gave up on that book totally. And i've always stop when i was 3/4 the book. Well, its ok. I've decided not to re-read it again. I developed a liking towards reading memoirs. I think ever since my mother's colleague lent me that book :"not without my daughter". How the mother and daughter were being coax to return to middle east(which i cant rem which country) and was "trapped" there by their husband/father and how she managed to make her way back to michigan. Also, after my june trip to cambodia last year, it had made me very interested to know the life under the khmer rouge. Therefore i picked up a book at the NIE library earlier on this year as well as this book from the tampines regional lib earlier on.
I've always been wondering why is it that when countries like singapore is undergoing nation building(Yes, we've already cleared up the smelly and dirty singapore river!) , while cambodia, a country so close to us, whereby the people there are encountering life near to hell. 1975 -1979, the pol pot regime is so recent. So recent that i find it so scary when i was there last year. Sometimes i wondered, i might even be kept captive there! Come to think about it, i wouldnt want to step into that sad country again. I'm glad that i've been there to hear the history, spoken, the unknown revealed. But, i wouldnt want to go there again, seriously.Not now, definitely.
Anyway, i've always been wondering why are there wars, and why will history always repeat itself? And i've always been wondering why people believe in the ideology of communism and strive to achieve utopia. Of cos, to me, i do think that the theory behind communism is really wonderful, it paints a very good picture. BUT! it is not something that can be put into practice. Not in application or in reality. Alot of things i do not understand. I think i need a historian friend who has a wide knowledge to answer many of my questions. If i am to talk to a normal friend, they would have look at me as tho i am sound weird history freak.
Haiyoz....
Okays stop all my random thoughts...
We bought a cake for my mum for mother's day. Then my mum said that 人就是要结婚生子. Hahahaha of cos, this cake = marvellous !


No comments: