Today while having lunch with my family, my mother mentioned something.
She said that on Mother's Day, our ex-neighbour, who had moved to Ang Mo Kio for around 8 years? came back to visit her. I've been staying here since the age of 13. This family was one of the 1st hand owners of that apartment opposite of mine. I vaguely remembered that they had a pair of twin sisters and a younger boy. The reason in which they moved was for the benefit of their children, being able to get into good schools. My mother said that we were of good terms and their children had been to our house, sat on my mum's bed and watched television. Frankly, i dont remember any of those. What appeared to be surprising to both my mother and i was the fact that one of the twin sisters came back, now aged 16, that day, with a flower for my mother. She said that she missed this place very much and preferred staying here. My brother did enlightened me a little. He asked me if i could remember my ex-neighbours. Those that i had prior to moving into Tampines. Of course i remembered Nani, our neigbour.I've helped her with homework before.(But well, most of the times we played rather than study), I remembered my mother would stand at the door talking to nani's mother. I remembered 13th floor Alvin(I still remembered that his school was St Hilda's).I remembered the 9th and 3rd floor boys whom i used to play with. Definitely, i remembered exactly how the place looked like and what games i used to play. Those were indeed deeply imprint in my memory although i may not remember how they look like and i doubt i can recognise anyone of them even if they stand in front of me now. I dont have any photographs of anyone of them but the memory was, sweet.
I thought to myself, the power of childhood memories are not to be underestimated.Like what Dan always say :" You may not remember how a person looks like or may have forgotten their names BUT, you will never forget how a person makes you FEEL." Probably in the them, the eyes of primary school kids, my mother was really nice to them.
Nowadays neighbours are no longer as close as before. I wonder what are some of the childhood memories that our kids have now? Computer games? Enrichment lessons? Perhaps all their memories are contained in the school they are attending. Schools are no longer a place whereby pupils go, study and return home, like how we used to be. Pupils of the present, spend longer time in schools.
Then it sets me thinking,
will any of my pupils remember who i am when they gets older?
Am i part of the sweet childhood memories that they'll hold dearly?
Treasure the time you have with your loved ones.
Create those great moments together with them.
Make them 'FEEL'.
No comments:
Post a Comment