Sunday, July 5, 2009

Celebrate Little Achievements in Life

No matter what success you reap at the end of the day, it starts small at the beginning.

I used to question myself, after inhaling oxygen since the day I'm delivered to this world, what have I accomplish? It is especially demoralising if one attempts to compare to people of the same age. For example, atheletics would have compete in world-wide games and could have won countless number of medals. For example, professional singers or musicians would have already be international renowned. There are many examples we can churn out, if we really are to compare ourselves in that way. In fact to be more realistic, one might think that friends of our age would have advanced very far in their work, earned big bucks, owned a car and bought their first ever property. So, what's our standing?

Think about yourself...
Still a student struggling somewhere out there and to whine whenever assignments are chasing you too hard?

Or perhaps a working adult complaining the lost in the mist whenever you feel that your life becomes routined?

Or perhaps you're still someone whom you think is so ordinary that your life is so smooth that you think maybe you need some challenges and excitement ?

Its okay to grumble about our life, that is what we do every other day to vent out our frustrations. However, I came to realise something... why dont we try to learn how to celebrate small little achievements in life? Everything starts small. We cant expect ourselves to be a scientist when we have no knowledge of what Science is actually made up of.

Most of the time when we finish an assignment, we felt relieved and satisfied because we managed to get the burden away, on time. Perhaps it is time to see it with another perspective. After completion of the assignments, you accumulated more knowledge than before, and that is also a small achievement. Many people, including myself, questioned the reason for us to be trained in NIE. Now that we are all trained, take a step back and ask yourself this question, do you feel enriched? I think i did. I felt that i've learnt alot of skills that i wouldnt have known if it wasnt part of my life journey. Therefore, by acquiring these skills, some of which could be life skills, made me feel a sense of achievement when i saw that piece of paper i've gotten. No big deal perhaps, but doesnt mean it has no value.

My eldest cousin once told me this: "People can snatch everything from you except for one thing and that is Knowledge." I felt that this is so true and it has created such an impact on me until this very second.

So today i do feel accomplished... because i did not give my life away.
I walked the hard way as compared to some of my peers. Perhaps people in my life helped me along the way but ultimately i choose my way. I am still gaining knowledge in my everyday life and these are my little achievements which one day might just snowball-ed to be a great achievement of mine that i could share with my grandchildren.

I've been reading inspiring books from time to time and today i'm just going to introduce the book by Randy Pausch - The Last Lecture.

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." ~ Randy Pausch

No comments: